Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Growing Up

Lily last March 2008

Last Summer, around July 2008

August or September 2008

October 2008

February 2009

The past few weeks, it seems like my little 'panilly' has grown up so much. The other day she was standing next to the coffee table and I noticed that she was towering over it quite a bit-- the top of the table actually hit way below her shoulders!! As funny as it sounds, Jason and I have used that as our measure of growth for her, along with where she hits when she stands next to the door and doorknob. Lily has also been outgrowing so many of her clothes. She'll be 18 months in about 2 1/2 weeks, but she is too tall for a lot of her 18 month outfits and is wearing 24 months/2T clothes.... I'm glad my baby girl is growing healthy and learning new things. But it does tug at my heart, and I know she's leaving behind her baby years and entering Toddlerhood. With that being said, here's a few of the tricks that she has learned over the past month.

Lily climbs EVERYTHING! Nothing is safe anymore. Just when we were pretty sure that we've babyproofed the house, we realize that we now need to start toddlerproofing it and fast! She's particularly fond of climbing on top of the kitchen table, coffee table, and on the arms of the sofa, with her back faced to the edge (this particularly terrifes me). She's also able to climb up and down our tall bed with ease, has been caught attempting to climb the small bookshelf-- which Jason has taken down. And able to reach the kitchen counter. Also, she has mastered climbing up and down stairs. So often during the day, I feel like I'm being hit in the gut, everytime I see her doing something new and SCARY! Luckily, we haven't had any accidents, and we're catching on to all her favorite places to climb and finding ways to prevent her from being hurt. I guess this is what happens when your child is in the 95% percentile in height, but yet too young to understand the concept of falling and being hurt. Her pediatrician told us at her 15 month checkup (she was 30 inches tall then) that if she grew 3 more inches by her second birthday that she would grow- up to be between 5'8 to 5' 10. Well, let me tell you, she has most definetly surpassed that three inch goal! I can't believe that I, who is only 5'1 1/2 inches (the 1/2 counts) will have a daughter that tall!! I have accepted that I'll forever be the shortest in our little family. :)

Along with being a daredevil, Lily is learning so much. She is starting to sort things out based on colors, and shapes. She's also starting to put things back where they belong, and is doing a lot of association. For example, she saw a parrot on tv one day, and so she went in her room and found her toy parrot. Another time, I was telling her the Sesame Street was on and that Elmo was on tv, and so she went and found a few Elmo toys to bring to the living room. She's also really good at finding her eyes, nose, mouth and ears. Lily is also starting to talk more. Sometimes, it's hard to make out what she is saying, and she'll pick and choose when to talk, but the past few days, I've been hearing some new words. Words that she has down include: Mommy and Daddy, no, wow, bye, hi, and some of her new words are: binky, push it (referring to her toys with buttons), come, and a few more I can't think of... One her fave activities of all time, is playing with stickers! She knows how to take the stickers off the sheet, and can line them up to the correct shapes and put them on. Sure they are a little lopsided sometimes, but she's got the right idea. She's also excellent in drawing! Yes, I may be biased, because I'm her mommy, but watching her grow is so amazing and fun!

Well, that is what is going on with our Lily. In a few more months she will be a big sister and I know that she'll be my big helper! We are excited to have Kyle join our family! Sooooo excited!!!

1 comment:

The Jolley Family said...

Hey Marie! Your little girl is darling. Glad you see your blog. Hope all is well.